Thursday, March 12, 2015

Proposed merging of the NTTC with ATA

Thursday, June 15, 2012

Dr. Franklyn Scott
9701 Apollo Drive, Suite 301
Largo, MD 20774

Subject: Proposal to revive and restore prominence of ATA


Dear Dr. Scott:
Forgive me for being so presumptuous that I might have anything to contribute to the 95th Anniversary of the ATA, whose history consists of such former players as the late Arthur Ashe, Althea Gibson, who come to mind for me at age 70.  Of course, there are others!

In 1976 I observed USPTA Professional instructors, play and give instructions, and realized that more needed to be done to train World Class players. 

I still believe that.   Given all the well-named, well-identified  tennis facilities, and availability of what passes as instructions on our public courts and developmental programs, America’s Tennis is lacking, thus we don’t need the USTA pouring more money into renovation of “more than adequate facilities” but, developmental programs instead, and something more than 10 and under and league play.

I believe as even Vic Braden has conceded,  [Black Tennis Magazine 2007, BTMag.com] We need more [knowledgeable ] black coaches.”

As I had observed years earlier, there was the need to adjust tennis to those players young, and smaller of stature.  I believe we have gone too far the other way.  Hence our younger players are burning out, before they acquire the knowledge, and understanding of the sport of tennis.

In early 1963 my wife bought me a tennis racquet and ball with wrist band at a Rexall Drug Store in Washington, D.C.  My first tennis challenge, I got beat at 6-0; 6-0; but requested a rematch in a month, which I won 6-0; 6-0 and have been playing ever since: D.C., Md. Va.  W.VA.  Pa.  Cal.  GA.

After playing for several years, I was asked, if I could teach someone to play.   I said,” I don’t know if I can teach you; but I can show you how I do it,” and the National Tennis Teacher’s College was born.

When Bolleteri was just a name at Haines Point in D.C., before beginning his Tennis Academy-- now in Florida; and Dennis Van Der Meer had just a desk in a hallway in a Washington, D.C. office building--before introducing the Professional Tennis Registry;  and the United States Professional Tennis Association required a $50.00 membership fee to join-- though I observed some members attempting to teach, could not play, nor teach, I developed (1976) my Instant Use Tennis Technique, and the Abbreviated Racquet Method for teaching the strokes of Tennis.

To that end, I would like to see the ATA, adopt the tenet of the National Tennis Teacher’s College: “Teaching Tennis the way it ought’a  be Taught,”  using the National Tennis Teacher’s College Manual, and identified with our exclusive Logo Patch for those who make the grade, and become certified.

Just as there is an American Baseball League, and a National Baseball league, and an All-star game, I believe there is enough money in the Elite Black Community to develop, and promote their  own integrated Tennis training facility, with what I  believe could promise guaranteed results.

For many black youth, Tennis, unlike the sport of Baseball, Football, Basketball isn’t recruited like other professional sports and doesn’t require the spending necessarily in Golf, just the willingness to have self-discipline, and to work hard.

I look forward to meeting you during the tournament.  I hope to play in the 65 mens’ Singles and Doubles with my brother, Calvin.

Thank you for your time, and any comments you might have.

Yours truly,

Daniel A. Young, Sr.
221 West Belle Street
Henderson, NC 27536

919 610-5255

No comments: